Wednesday, May 29, 2024

UNDER THE COVERS CANADIAN STYLE

Thanks once more to our resident "Robin Hood" and his series of Original vs.Cover posts it inspired my own but with a Twist.. I myself did Two different series of posts when on AFF, both featuring the Top 30 Canadian Bands in my own opinion, along with a separate series of the Top 30 single Canadian singers/ artists. This one, I shall be "Uncovering" some of my personal favourite songs by Canadian artists that were either Covered by other Canadian artists/bands or from major artists the world over in the music Industry. Among these though will also be Canadians who covered famous songs outside of Canada and made them their own with as much success as the original one. # 1 - Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen How could I not start with one of the most iconic, covered songs of all time,by Canadian Leonard Cohen. I was no fan as he could not sing a note, yet his lyrics and story telling with his songs and music, made him famous..
It was not until K.D.Lang, another Canadian artist covered it, that I myself preferred the Cover over the original. I have to go with this video, when she sang it at the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver during the opening ceremonies..
#2 - If You Could Read My Mind by Gordon Lightfoot
In my mind, no cover of Gordon Lightfoots songs even comes close but when Stars On 54 did it as more of a Dance tune, I did not mind it.. (Editors Note: When writing this,I had the "Stars On 45" at first in my mind who I thought covered "If You Could Read My Mind" not Stars On 54. Back in 1981, "Stars On 45" did an album that I had bought when I first moved to B.C. at 18 which had combined the Beatles, The Archies, Madness, The Buggles, Shocking Blue, Lipps Inc. and so many others. A Mashup of sorts, back in the day.. It was not until 1998 when the "Stars On 54" covered "If You Could Read My Mind" for the movie about the famous Studio 54, which I have never seen, and is the video below..
# 3 - Cotton Jenny by Gordon Lightfoot
Even though Gordon released this song in 1971 on his album "Summer Side Of Life" , another favourite Canadian artist of mine Anne Murray did a cover of it in 1972 which also became a hit..
# 4 - Big Yellow Taxi by Joni Mitchell
Canadian music legend Joni Mitchell both wrote and sang "Big Yellow Taxi" in 1970 and it has been covered by others such as Bob Dylan in 1973..
I am no Dylan fan either for his singing, much like Leonard Cohen. It was not until the Counting Crows with Vanessa Carlton came out with "Big Yellow Taxi" that I thought they did Joni Mitchell justice with their cover of it.
# 5 Into The Mystic by Van Morrison (this one is for Deb.)
Such an amazing song and I am a huge Van Morrison fan. I did not think anyone could cover this song well, up until my fellow Canadian Colin James did and I was lucky enough lat November, to hear Colin do it Live. It gave me chills and in my honest opinion, has surpassed Van Morrisons original of it..The first is an interview Colin did about capturing the essence of how doing his cover of "Into The Mystic" came about, along with Colin's Cover of it..
( He did the above version Live in Toronto's Rock Station Q107 and one I listen to the most.) I have quite a few more songs I want to add, either done by Canadian artists and or bands that have been covered by others, or ones Canadians have covered themselves from the originals that became a huge success also in their own right. That will wait for another post.. I hope you enjoy these covers and their originals also..

5 comments:

  1. When I saw Colin recently, I had so many photos from that concert but posted mostly on AFF after doing a Colin James blog after the show. The Q107 video above which was shot years ago, he had the same guitarist in November 2023 that is in the video above.. I had the photos and went to find them all, but it was taking too long for this post..

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's quite a collection of songs with a Canadian twist there.
    I very much like k.d. lang's cover of 'Hallelujah' though I also like Leonard Cohen's original.
    Counting Crows' cover of 'Big Yellow Taxi' is brilliant and much better than the original. I've never really been a Joni Mitchell fan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Big Yellow Taxi was one song of Joni's I Loved and when the Counting Crows covered it, I thought it was brilliant also.

      Delete
  3. I feel seen! Into the Mystic is just such a beautiful song, how can one not love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you on that Deb. and of course had to give you a shout out with both versions of it..

      Delete

PHOTOGRAPHS AND MEMORIES

As most of you here know by now,my vacation has been extended by another week due to the strike between West Jet and the mechanics. Even tho...

About Me

My photo
Only here to blog with my fellow AFF exiled friends and connect with other bloggers as well.