Tuesday, June 4, 2024

TAKE A HIKE MOM IN CHILLIWACK, BRITISH COLUMBIA

I got a phone call from my two sons who live in Chilliwack B.C., asking whether I wanted to take a hike with them again when I am there, like we did in 2022 on the Lindeman Lake Trail.
It was a resounding "Yes" as both boys are avid hikers and sports nuts. Spending time with them in any capacity at all while only seeing them once a year, is what I live for.. Having said that,with my sons being 30 and 28 respectively now, when I took that hike with them at 59 ( now 61) and they were both also two years younger, I felt old. Both boys can and still hike it to view Lindeman Lake in record time. When Mom tagged along, even with our backpacks full of water bottles, Trail Mix and Granola Bars, due to the rocky terrain and the elevation, what takes them 10 minutes maybe, took us almost 45 when I hiked it with them.. Even though I wore a tee shirt that day with my boys that said " In it to Win it", I knew this year and not being 59 anymore, when my sons asked me to take another hike with them this trip, I flat out told them I could not do the Lindeman Trail again this year.. It was then I suggested a much flatter trail just outside of Chilliwack on the Vedder River. One that their Dad and I used to go and camp quite often before they were born. We would also take both of them, along with their older sister to the Vedder for picnics and walk the trail when they were really young.
They loved the idea as did I. With being a "Tom Boy" and a Senior Mom of three Adult children, admitting our bodies Biological ages can not do what it might have been able to even two years prior when either taking a hike with them or not, was a humbling experience. I felt both Old and embarrassed, telling them I just could not hike on the steep terrain with them this visit in Chilliwack. What about the scant few here, reading this? Getting Old sucks the odd time. Having to tell your kids, you are "Young at heart, but slightly older in other places" and admitting to it can be difficult. Especially when it comes to doing activities with your kids, that you can not do as easily anymore.

6 comments:

  1. I've had to accept my declining body too even though I sometimes I kid myself otherwise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can relate to that one for sure. My pride of being able to complete the hike the first time with my sons 2 years ago, took a beating when I had to turn them down now, 2 years later on hiking the Lindeman this year with them..

      Delete
  2. I can't walk as much as I used to, but I go on nature hikes at my own pace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wise way to do any type of hike my friend and I do so love the photos of all the hikes and trails you go on.. I made the mistake 2 years ago on trying to go at my son's paces as I felt so bad for them when we had to stop for Mom to have a wee rest before climbing more of the mountain. This time with the Vedder River trail which is all flat, I just may be able to keep up more with them...lol.

      Delete
  3. Yeah, i'm the baby of this bunch and my body can't do what it did in my twenties. It's just the reality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you are between both JN and I being days apart in 1963 along with Robin Hood here, being from the "Baby Boomer Generation". Having said that, Your own generation which is Gen X makes this" Baby Boomer" feeling not so old.

      Delete

PHOTOGRAPHS AND MEMORIES

As most of you here know by now,my vacation has been extended by another week due to the strike between West Jet and the mechanics. Even tho...

About Me

My photo
Only here to blog with my fellow AFF exiled friends and connect with other bloggers as well.