Thursday, May 16, 2024

LEARNING TO FLY WITH NO FEAR

With my Flight to B.C. coming up shortly, I am getting extremely excited. Not only due to spending time with my kids, grandchildren and family, but with flying itself. Since the age of 13 and the first time I had ever flown the friendly skies, from Toronto to Sarasota Florida, to see my Dad's Mom who was a Canadian Snowbird, I was and still am fascinated with both flying itself and any type of aircraft..
After that first initial flight in 1976 with my Dad, when it came time for me ( the youngest of 7 originally) to spread my wings and "Fly Away" like a John Denver or Lenny Kravitz song, being an airline stewardess was my first career choice. Back at that time for one reason or another, I had not even thought about becoming an "Amelia Earhart" myself and to truly Learn How To Fly. I ended up flying across the ice on my figure skates with my feet firmly planted on the ground. Both becoming an airline stewardess along with a Recording Engineer after, were not my Destiny..
Fast forward when I moved to B.C. in 1981 and especially Aldergrove in 1990 to raise my children. Aldergrove is a scant 10 minutes away from the Abbotsford Airport and where I fly both to and from, every June. Even though Abbotsford Airport is small with only one terminal, it has one of Canada's largest airshows in the world. Living there all the years I did. My fascination with planes and flying grew.My three kids maybe not, as they did not like the noise level living so close and not having to leave our front yard to watch either all the "Stealth Bombers" come in quietly with practice runs and leave a trail of Noise, behind them, or the Canadian Airforce Snowbirds flying in to practice, just prior the airshow..
I myself was in my glory and cemented any type of Flying at all with no fear.. So with that being said, while I myself Love to Fly anywhere, do you? I once sat beside a woman on a flight from Toronto to Abbotsford who was deathly afraid of flying. During our 5 hour flight from Toronto Pearson to Abbotsford,I kept her mind occupied and the conversation flowing. She became so engrossed, her fear of flying itself became a mute point. We ended up exchanging stories, emails among personal information after,and have been friends offsite since that flight..

4 comments:

  1. Unlike you, I don't like flying especially taking off and any turbulence. However, I don't allow my dislike of flying stop me flying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you on the turbulence as I can do without it myself. Good to hear you do not let it stop you from traveling by plane anywhere..

      Delete
  2. Somehow, this got lost in the shuffle and I didn't see it until now. The reading list is not always reliable when Bow and I have an editing addiction. 😂

    Much like Bow, I am not one who enjoys flying. I'll do it, but it's really not something I enjoy. I am afraid of heights in general. I went to the CN tower when I was eighteen and dear lort I thought I was going to die my heart was pounding so much when we got to the top. I stepped off the elevator for less than a minute and turned around to go back down. 😂

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been flying since I was a kid, but I have no recollection of any of the flights I took as a kid. I don't remember the trip to the airport or anything. I only remember the flights I took as an adult. Now whenever I see an airplane, I'm telling myself to start researching for my next long weekend trip LOL

    ReplyDelete

PHOTOGRAPHS AND MEMORIES

As most of you here know by now,my vacation has been extended by another week due to the strike between West Jet and the mechanics. Even tho...

About Me

My photo
Only here to blog with my fellow AFF exiled friends and connect with other bloggers as well.